When the end of Off the Grid at The Presidio was announced in May 2022, many folks were disappointed. The Parade Lawn at the Presidio is a gem of a park with amazing Golden Gate views. Topped off with the great selection of food trucks from Off the Grid, the winning combination was a hit with many in San Francisco.
So, the May 2022 announcement was met with disappointment as there was no final hurrah for Off the Grid from the Presidio Trust. However, it’s replacement looks promising as the Presidio Trust puts the final touches on what is now referred to as the Presidio Tunnel Tops. Part of the massive Tunnel Tops Park is a daily rotation of food trucks. The opening day will kick off the culinary carousel that is set to be a fixture for the area. Sunday, July 17th will see the opening festivities for the park. Here is a map of the park along with a few pictures of the completed park.
The Tunnel Tops plans to feature a rotation of vendors 7 days a week. For the food vendors available for the opening day, a comprehensive list is posted HERE. Some highlights from the list…
- All Day Catering – Wholesome comfort foods such as mac and cheese, gumbo and other Southern delights.
- Cocina Guirnalda – Featuring Yucatan cuisine including panuchos crispy black bean-stuffed tostadas and corn empanadas.
- Colibri – An extension of the bar from the Colibri restaurant in the Presidio Officers’ Club, serving their signature margarita and more, with guac and chips.
- GIO Gelati – Authentic Italian artisan gelato made by a 4th generation master gelatiere with farm-fresh California ingredients.
- Guajillo Kitchen – Featuring Mexican fare made with Guajillo peppers including tacos dorados, quesabirras and tamales.
- Kayma – Serving hearty, halal Algerian dishes such as couscous and chicken bowls and grilled ras el hanout marinated lamb baguette sandwiches.
- Lady Victory – From the women-owned, popular bar Victory Hall, a 1967 VW bus serving up creative cocktails, including several with ube, because a great cocktail is a celebration of everyday victories.
- Mama’s Papas – Ono Latin Hawaiian fusion dishes such as pupusitas and kalua pork quesatacos.
- Mi Morena – Delectable Mexico City style tacos de guisado with stewed carnitas, chicken tinga, cactus pads with summer squash, and made-on-the spot, fresh hand-pressed tortillas. A La Cocina Marketplace business.
- Route 1 Coffee – Cold brew and pour-overs. The signature beverage is the delightful coffee con leche.
- Rye on the Road – Craft cocktail service.
- Satay By the Bay SF – Classic Singaporean favorites such as satay with peanut sauce and chili crab fries.
- Whipt – Home of the “original cookie cake”, a scrumptious soft-centered treat within a crunchy cookie encasement.
- YoSoyCeviche – Traditional Peruvian fish and shellfish ceviche complete with house made plantain chips, and Andean corn nuts.
Opening Day programming is a diverse collection of performers, guides, and art exhibitions. Various activities led by Park Rangers are available on a first-come basis. Live music and DJs are featured throughout the day in addition to various dance exhibitions. There is quite a bit to do, so just check out the list on the event website HERE.
So, the Sunday festivities look action-packed along with the beginning of a new legacy for the Presidio. This inauguration signals another transformation in the meaning and function of a space that was once a large military base. Every time a new park opens in San Francisco, there is a buzz, but I have a feeling that the buzz around the Presidio will remain as it becomes one of the city’s finest destinations.